Monday, October 17, 2011

Masala Coriander Pasta

I am sure most of you will think I am out of my mind to think of a pasta without cheese or the creaminess of milk and flour. But try this once and I am sure you will like it. As the name of the blog suggests, I like to mix and match. Its not that I do not like the traditional pasta with the cheese sauce, infact, I love it. But this is a variation to be savored once in a while without the guilt of cheese hanging on me. The flavor of coriander complements the tomato sauce quite well. My daughter loved this version of pasta and she had a full serving all by herself :) What more can a mother ask for. I found this was a convenient way to make her take some greens.



What I used:
Pasta - 150 grams ( I used macaroni, but any small variety like gnochhi, bowties could be used)
Tomato - 3(small to medium)
Coriander - a handful(finely chopped)
Garlic - 2-3 cloves chopped
Garam masala or curry powder - 1 tsp
Oil - 1 Tbsp
Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp(Optional)
How:
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package instructions.
- Blend the tomatoes in a mixer or blender.
- Heat the oil in a non stick pan or a kadai and add the chopped garlic. Add the tomato paste once the garlic starts to turn golden.
- Fry the tomato paste till the raw smell of tomato disappears and the mixture changes color.
- Now add the garam masala and chilli powder (if using, I didnt use chili because my daughter doesnt take heat well ) and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the finely chopped coriander(If I dont chop it fine, my daughter will take them out) and cook for 1- 2 minutes
- Now add the pasta and toss it so that all the pasta gets a coating of the sauce.
Serve hot. You can top it with cheese if desired, but it goes well without cheese as my daughter would say.


No comments:

Post a Comment