Monday, November 28, 2011

Tomato Garlic sambar - Thakali sambar

This sambar is something my mother makes with idli, dosa, pongal, adai, etc. Needless to say, its our favorite, not just mine, me, my husband and even my daughter likes to have this sambar with a spoon. I make it with less chili than my mother for my daughters sake.

What I used :
Onion - 1 medium
Green chili -1
Curry leaf - 1 sprig
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 1/2 tbsp
Salt - as per taste
fresh coriander - for garnish
To Grind:
Tomato - 3 medium / 2 large
Garlic - 5-8 cloves depending on size
Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
Roasted channa dal - 1 tbsp (pottukadalai in tamil)
Saunf - 1 tsp
coconut - 1 tbsp (optional)

How:
- Grind all the ingredients under the To Grind section to a paste.
- Heat the oil in a kadai or a non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add the green chili, curry leaf and onion.
- Fry till onion turns translucent, then add the ground paste and fry for 5 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add the chili powder and salt and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add 3/4 cup of water and mix it and let it boil for 5 minutes or till it reaches desired consistency. I like it thicker than the normal sambar.
- Garnish with coriander and enjoy with dosa, idli, adai, etc..
-



No comments:

Post a Comment