Friday, November 11, 2011

Turkish style poached eggs with yoghurt

Hi

I like to try out different cuisines nd thankfully my husband is also enthusiastic about my endeavors. It doesn't take anything more than a sulky person at home to dampen your spirits when you are trying something new.I am lucky that way( and in many other ways too :) )Anyways I tried this from the lovely turkish blog http://almostturkish.blogspot.com and I am in love with turkish food. I have tried a number of recipes from there and each and every one of them was a hit.

I made a few changes to the recipe and this is what I came up with.

I didnt have nearly enough yogurt but I was craving for this so much, I went ahead an made it anyway, yummm..Its finger lickin good

Makes 2 servings. You can double the eggs and make 2 eggs per serving if you love eggs.

Eggs - 2(preferably at room temp)
Fresh curd - 1/2 cup or as much as you like
Butter or oil - 1 1/2 tsp
Mint flakes or any dry herb seasoning
Finely chopped garlic - 1 small
Oats - 1 c
Red chili powder - 1/2 - 1 tsp(adjust to taste)
Salt - as per taste

- Break 1 egg in a bowl
- Heat water in a deep pan and after it comes to a boil, lower the heat so that its not boiling, but water is hot. Stir the water in the centre with a spatula to make a whirlpool effect and tip the egg into the hot water.
- Increase the heat to medium. Let it cook for 3-5 minutes for soft to hard poached egg.
- Take the egg out and place it on a paper towel to drain off the water. Cook all the eggs you want this way, preferably one by one or two at a time.
- Spread 1/2 cup of oats in a plate and top it with yoghurt. Now place the poached egg in the centre.
- In a small pan, heat oil or butter. Once hot(before it gets smokey) add the garlic and after a 5 seconds add the chili powder or paprika. Do not let the chili burn(5 - 10 seconds will be enough). Turn off the gas and add the dry herb seasoning to the hot oil.
- Drizzle the oil over the yoghurt and the eggs and dig in

This was quite delicious and healthy too. Nowadays this has become a regular breakfast option at our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment