Saturday, February 4, 2012

Making ghee from butter at home

Hi everybody, Thats how my daughter addresses us if she finds me and her dad at the same place. She constantly surprises me by uttering new sentences or doing something I dont expect.
I had never had store bought ghee till I was married. My mother always makes ghee at home and I never thought there would be so much difference in taste and flavour between homemade ghee and storebought ghee, even if the butter and ghee are from the same manufacturer. There really must be some magic happening when you make ghee at home. It seems silly that I am making a post for this simple clarification of butter.( Thats what the process of making ghee from butter is called, hmm.. interesting). But the first time I clarified butter(Not again), I took it out too early and the next time, I let it burn and all I got was burnt, browned, not so pleasant smelling something. Maybe I am the only one who has fumbled or ever will fumble this, still I thought somebody can benefit from this.

The quantity of ghee you get will be almost same as the weight of butter, after all it is just clarified butter.


- Take a clean, heavy bottomed vessel and turn the flame to low. Now add the butter in the vessel. Toss the butter around till it melts so that it is heated evenly. At the start you can see a lot of froth forming. As time goes, the froth will reduce. In the picture, you can see some foam on top. This picture was taken 10 minutes after the butter melted. It takes 5 minutes after this stage for the perfect golden colored ghee. The ghee is done when most of the froth disappears.
In the sidelines - once the ghee is cooled, transfer it into a clean jar. What I usually do after making ghee is - add 2 spoons of atta in the same vessel with the ghee that is stuck in the vessel. Roast it till the raw smell disappears. Add 2 spoons of sugar, mix it well. If you are particular, you can make it into a laddoo and have. Otherwise, you can just relish it with a spoon. yum..yum..yum
Have fun!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment