Thursday, January 17, 2013

Coconut chutney

I feel if there is a dish any south Indian knows to cook, it must be coconut chutney. It is really simple to make, does not involve many spices, and is yummmy. But I have to say, the best chutney is what my father makes. Even my hubby and my MIL agree with me.

Serves - 4
Preparation time - 5 minutes
Cooking time - 2 minutes (optional)

Ingredients:
Coconut - 1/4 coconut ~ 3 Tbsp
Green chili - 2 -3 (to taste)
Pottukadalai (Roasted bengal gram / fried gram) - 2 Tbsp
Salt

Optional:
Garlic - 1 clove
Coriander leaves - 2 sprigs
Shallot - 1

Tempering:
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Urad dal - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves - few chopped
Oil - 1 tsp




1. Grind all ingredients with water for desired consistency.
2. Heat oil in a tadka / tempering pan and pour the tadka over the chutney.
Serve with idli / dosa / upma / adai


No comments:

Post a Comment